He’s gone. He’s been gone for
almost two years now, and I still can’t seem to function. He was the last of my
family, and I can remember just the way we fell apart. I accused him of
murdering our sister, which I knew he didn’t do. He was deranged, and now I can
never amend our relationship. Harry brought the diary to me last night, and I
cannot bring myself to read it, but I know I must.
October
1900- Ariana killed mother. After she was attacked by Muggles, she could never
control herself again, and we were forced to keep her locked away. I hated to
see her like this, and yet it was for her own good. Mother went to check on
her, she screamed, and Ariana had killed her. Aberforth blames me for keeping
her locked away and not teaching her to control her magic, but I see no other
way. I am only 18 and cannot do this alone, raise two children and make a name
for myself in the magical world. I need his help.
November
1901- I’ve met the love of my life. Gellert Grindelwald moved in two months ago.
We became the best of friends, and I have fallen in love with him. He
understand me, and truly cares for me. I know he doesn’t see me as just a
friend, but I’m too afraid to be rejected. Aberforth has finished his
schooling, and is taking care of Ariana. I do hope he can do some good with
her, and get her out of that room. I’ve done my best, and Gellert thinks so
too. He’s so compassionate.
January
1905-Ariana has been killed. Aberforth heard Gellert and I discussing our plans
to rule Muggles and he became very upset. He and I started yelling, and Gellert
started to defend me. I’m not sure who threw the first curse, but it escalated
quickly. Ariana must have heard us yelling, and she was standing two feet from
me. The Avada Kadavra curse hit her, and she was gone. She fell so hard I
thought I heard her skull crack, but it must have been Aberforth’s gasp, for he
was by her side in an instant. I looked for Gellert, but he had run home.
Aberforth and I laid to rest our dear sister, beside our mother and father’s
plot. I have not seen or heard from him or Gellert in a month. I feel so guilty
and responsible! How could I have been so stupid?! I will never know whose
curse it was, but I will never forgive myself.
September
1945- Gellert has been defeated. I found him trying to murder innocent Muggles,
and I tried to reason with him. He had come into possession of the Elder Wand,
and had gone mad with power. He turned on me, telling me that it was his curse
that killed Ariana. How could I listen to a madmad? He tried to curse me, and I
retaliated. He fell, and died. The wand was mine…I will use it wisely.
August
1980- I have been headmaster of Hogwarts for 25 years now. These children do
not know the burden I have, and can never face something like that. Lord
Voldemort is gone, and Lily and James’ son is safe until he comes of age to
learn his magic. My mind is starting to wander, and I see Ariana in my dreams.
She warns me of something coming. Something big is coming.
September
1991- Harry Potter has arrived at Hogwarts. He is the spitting image of his
father, but with his mother’s eyes. He brings out the kid in me, and makes me
feel alive again. He reminds me of Gellert with his sense of adventure and
gentle nature. He could become someone great, and great things are in store for
him. Ariana has appeared more and more in my dreams, and now she is starting to
walk around Hogwarts. I see her in the kitchens helping the house elves. I see
her in the men’s bathroom, spying on the young men. And mostly she’s in my
office. Her company is most welcomed, and I enjoy our talks, but the air of
despair around her is sickening.
May
1995- Hogwarts is under attack from Lord Voldamort. His name brings him power
when it is uttered, and the students are afraid to leave their homes. Harry is
frightened, for he has seen this ghost, and knows what is coming for him. He is
brave, and a remarkable boy. If only he were younger, or I older, I would teach
him the ways of real magic. The children’s parents are keeping them home for
the summer, and the teachers must force themselves to stay here and form a plan
for the next year. Ariana warned me of big things to come, but I never imagined
it would be like this. She still talks to me, and her air of stink is overwhelming.
I think it may be death. I think she is my angel of death.
September
1997- My time has come, and I can feel it. Death is just around the corner, for
Ariana is gone, but her stench remains. I tried on the cursed ring of
Slytherin, and it has damaged me in ways I cannot fathom. It shocked me to see
my own hand turn black, and feel a part of my soul split from my being. Severus
couldn’t save my hand, but he contained the curse. He knows my time is coming
too, and I’ve asked him to kill me. I don’t want that child Draco ruining his soul
for my life. Severus can handle the guilt, and I know his time is coming too.
Ariana is around him, hovering in the background. He can smell her, but cannot
see her yet. I have to tell Harry about Voldemort’s plan…he MUST understand.
And he will.
October
1997- Harry and I have been hunting for the next Horcrux. He’s grown into quite
the young man, and I am so very proud of him. We are searching for the locket,
and I know where to look. I’m taking Harry there tonight, and then I will die.
I will tell Harry that I love him, and I will help him along as far as I can go…but
no more do I belong to this earth. Ariana has come calling, and she is bathed
in White light. She is ready, and so am I. Save Hogwarts Harry...and save the
children.
I didn't really catch the reference to Madman's Diary until the last sentence. I would recommend you to add something unpredictable, it would make the story a little bit more interesting. Overall, good job. --Maria Antsupova
ReplyDeleteThis is structurally reminiscent of Madman's Diary, but I think one needs to know Harry Potter more to make sense of it. I've only read one of the Potter books, I must confess. I think what you're doing is legitimate and interesting, but I'd like to be able to recognize more traces of Madman's Diary in this, too. At the beginning, your narrator says the diary writer is deranged, but I don't see much derangement in him (of course, this may be because I'm not as fluent in Harry Potter.) Is there some way you could make him more deranged?
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love the Harry Potter aspect of it and I understood all the references since I am a big Harry Potter fan. The only thing is I don't really see where Dumbledore was supposed to go crazy. I didn't see the madman aspect of the story. I thought maybe you'd put that spin on it, with Dumbledore going mad in the diary. That would be the only thing to edit on. It was really good and I enjoyed it.
ReplyDeletereally good job. the ending was kind of sad but awesome
ReplyDelete